Ensure your property is fire ready

Gisborne CFA is encouraging all residents to clean up and prepare their properties for fire season. With the dire season projected to be longer than before, it’s vital that this short window of opportunity is taken advantage of.

To assist property owners to do this, during the month of October burning off restrictions under Macedon Ranges Council’s Local Law will be lifted for those residents living on land less than 4,000 square metres (one acre).

Council’s Director Assets and Operations, Dale Thornton said that it’s important that everyone starts to prepare early as authorities are predicting a prolonged and dry fire season.

“You can significantly help to reduce the risk of fire to our community by cleaning up around your property and removing fine fuels such as long grass, weeds, twigs and leaves,” he said.

Residents must ensure that when burning off they do not create a nuisance for their neighbours and should continue to monitor any burn-off for at least seven days to ensure it is fully extinguished. Large loads of green waste (excluding noxious weeds) can also be taken and tipped for free at Council’s transfer stations.

“We are planning to initially focus on areas in the north and east of the shire that are known to dry out the quickest and we will monitor regrowth carefully over the fire season,” Mr Thornton said.

Council’s Fire Management Officer will also begin inspecting private properties for fire risk in mid-October, which is earlier than usual, and Fire Prevention Notices will be issued to those properties that pose a serious fire risk to their neighbourhood.

Burning off once the fire season is declared is not permitted without a permit.

12006284_10153750619455362_4618146421094122486_nGisborne CFA also ask that when clearing, you consider ifd we will be able to come onto your property safely. Fire trucks are BIG – will we be able to come onto your property and turn around to leave again? Do you have overhanging trees over the drive that could present a hazard to us when considering if we can come onto your property?

For more information http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/plan-prepare/ can help you, with resources available through the CFA to advise you.