Are you planning a break away from it all, to rest and recharge? Remember to pack an awareness of where you are going, the fire danger in those areas and a plan of what to do if a bushfire starts near you. Just because you’re on holiday, doesn’t mean fires are!
There are some major ways of keeping in touch with what is happening:
- ABC local radio, commercial and designated radio stations or Sky News TV
- The FireReady App – which sends push notifications for incidents, Total Fire Bans and what Fire Danger Ratings
- The emergency.vic.gov.au website
- Victorian Bushfire Information Line 1800 240 667
- CFA Twitter and Facebook accounts
For areas with mobile phone coverage, you may receive SMS warning of an impending fire, and it’s important to remember that the warning may be too late for you to leave safely. Keep an awareness of what is going on around you.
ABC emergency coverage is found on http://www.abc.net.au/news/emergency/, and you can find your local frequency by clicking on “ABC Radio Frequency Finder Find the ABC Radio frequencies for your area” over on the right hand side of the page.
Enjoy your time away and the break with your family however, we are just asking people to think ahead and take fire seriously. Be aware of where you’re travelling to and the local conditions, including any upcoming weather you may need to plan for. This may make the difference between a safe and happy holiday for you and your family or a tragedy, and we’re keen to see you back.