On Thursday (15 Aug) at approx 10.20am Gisborne and Toolern Vale brigades were paged to a reported car fire at a property off Melton – Gisborne Rd, Gisborne South.
The car was quickley extinguish by a quick thinking off-duty firefighter who was in the area at the time of the call. The off- duty member managed to knock down the flames with a extinguisher that he had on board his private vehicle.
Once Gisborne brigade were on scene they took over and extinguished the remaining hot spots. Toolern Vale brigade were cancelled once the scene was declared safe.
The fire is believed to have started due to a electrical fault behind the centre dash board.
On a bitterly cold Thursday, a class of Prep students from St Bridgets primary school visited the Gisborne Fire Brigade.
Secertary Ian Large and Comms Officer Bevan Moody explained the importance of fire safety within the home, and showed them what they can do in the event of a fire. With the help of firefighters Jason Gruevski and Doug Peart this included “Get down low and go go go” and “Stop drop and role”.
A fire fighter also “donned” breathing apparatus to demonstrate that its not all that scary and that CFA are here to help.
“We visit schools and kindergardens quite regularly to build fire awareness and safety at a early age, which includes having an active fire plan and most importantly working smoke alarms” explained Ian Large.
But the highlight of the day for the kids was getting on the end of a hose and squirting some water.